[Announcment] HeinanOS is dropping support for 16-bit systems

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hello everybody,

As we are getting closer to the release of the Milestone 3 build of HeinanOS, I decided to drop support for 16-bit systems.

As a result, the minimal system requirements for using HeinanOS have been updated to reflect these changes.

As I know some of HeinanOS users test it on 16-bit systems, I decided to share you on the considerations that caused this change.

First, as you all know, 16-bit systems are very limited in the range of features available to implement. For example, I discovered that the new user interface changes would not run on a system which has less than 2 MB of RAM (which means that either I create a release for 32-bit systems with the new user interface and one without for 16-bit systems or I'm not adding the user interface changes at all).

Second, the need for creating a stable release for two different architectures is a difficult task, which in many cases delay the release of new builds.

Because of these reasons, I am dropping the support for 16-bit systems in the Milestone 3 build which will be released to the public during the coming month.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this move might have created,